Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations.
Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: AVR Facilitator
Location: Michika, Adamawa
Supervised by: AVR Team Leader
Reporting to: AVR Team Leader
Employment Period: 6 months
Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): National
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria
- Direct operational implementation of Peacebuilding (AVR) activities in DRC areas of operation (community safety planning, conflict management, dialogue facilitation, youth engagement, women engagement and community policing
- Assist the Peacebuilding (AVR) TL and Training Officer in facilitating Peacebuilding (AVR) activities (e.g. community safety planning, conflict management, dialogue facilitation, youth engagement, women engagement and community policing) as required after extensive training.
- Assess community needs and establish priorities in cooperation with all stakeholders at the local level in coordination with Peacebuilding (AVR) unit management.
- Assist in the undertaking of conflict analysis of the targeted communities.
- Undertake Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) and other data collections methodologies with targeted segment of the communities of the assigned location when needed.
Liaison with project stakeholders:
- Establish a wide information network including authorities, security services, communities, NGOs, and other possible sources of information.
- Serve as a focal point and link between DRC and local representatives at different levels, in assigned areas of responsibility and advocate for the project in the target locations.
- Liaise with local community leaders, civil society groups and local authorities about the implementation and prioritization of community needs with the elected task forces respectively in maintaining point of contacts with all target communities (i.e. community rapport maintenance).
- Organize and facilitate monthly community meetings in briefing project implementation status and mitigating potential conflicts.
- Cooperate and coordinate closely with other DRC field staff to ensure programmatic synergies and complementarity.
- Regularly report to and update Peacebuilding (AVR) TL on all issues relating to activities within target communities on a daily basis to include a situation report and suggestions to adjust activities for increased effectiveness.
- Ensure all information collected is accurately recorded and respond to high quality standards.
- Ensure standard reporting formats are filled and submitted in a timely fashion (daily activity records, weekly summary).
- Contribute to the weekly and monthly report as required and attend weekly planning and coordination meetings.
- Contribute to the management of staff safety and security by adhering to established safety Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and following the guidance of the Humanitarian Access Country Safety Advisor/local safety FP.
- Any other duties as directed by Peacebuilding (AVR) Team Leader.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Experience in community mobilization, facilitation of workshops or other participative activities (focus groups, mediation processes, etc.) necessary.
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills.
- Knowledge of local communities; actual inhabitants of these areas are preferred.
- Fluency in English and local languages (Hausa).
- Must be able to remain neutral when working with communities.
- Previous experience working with youth and women programming.
- Previous experience working for an international or national NGO/civil society organization.
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Willing and able to work for long hours when requested.
- Creative and willing to learn new things.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook)
Salary and Conditions
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment (NM-H SB3 level 1)
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
21st July 2021 at midnight (GMT-time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals only.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Applications submitted after the specified closing date will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.